Thursday, August 2, 2007
Version 1.01 Update Fixed One of My iPhone Quirks.
The only lists I’ve seen describing what the 1.01 update does for iPhones is more technical than I care to try understanding. However, this update is the only logical explanation I have for one little quirk that seems to have been fixed.
I don’t use encryption on my wireless network at home. Instead, I have enabled MAC address filtering and disabled the SSID broadcast. After I added my iPhone’s MAC address to my router, I had no problem manually adding the SSID and connecting. However, perhaps 9 times out of 10, I would return home and find the phone would keep using AT&T’s Edge network. I almost always had to manually reconnect to my wireless signal from the Settings menu. The phone remembered the name, so it was very quick to reconnect, but I still had to do it manually most of the time.
But no more. Since updating to the 1.01 firmware, my iPhone now consistently connects to my home wireless network automatically, even though the SSID broadcast is disabled.
Sorry, due to comment spam abuse, new comments on this entry are closed until I find time to upgrade Movable Type and enable registration and moderation.