Thursday, March 16, 2006
QuickTime Pro, Menu Master, and Everything Else Haxies
I realize a lot of people don’t like Unsanity’s Application Enhancer modules (b.k.a. haxies), and I understand why they don’t like them. I assure you, if I was capable of giving up my addiction to ClearDock, FruitMenu, Menu Master, WindowShade X, and Instant Hijack Server, I would be the next to sign my name to the list of haxieless users.
I bring this up because I wanted to share what I’m sure is one of many small problems with using haxies. I am a QuickTime Pro customer and have been stymied as to why I had access to all Pro features except for calling up a new recording window. To make a long story short, it doesn’t like Menu Master. No problem with other haxies. Fortunately, simply adding QuickTime Player to Menu Master’s exclude list is a workaround. Just as fortunately, I’ve felt no need to reorganize menu shortcuts in QuickTime Player.
Update: I’m not sure why, unless perhaps it was because I had only logged out and back in after installing version 1.3.1 of Menu Master instead of restarting, but the problem is gone. I had added QuickTime Player to Menu Master 1.3’s exclude list but later upgraded to 1.3.1. Today, after having not been able to reproduce the problem at my office, I removed QuickTime Player from the exclude list and everything continued to function properly. But I remain convinced that Menu Master (at least version 1.3) was still the root of the issue. Therefore…
Are there any non-haxie utilities to accomplish similar goals as to what I use haxies for?
- ClearDock—I really love toning down that gaudy white-ish color of the Dock, but I suppose I really could zap this one. I suppose I just run it anyway since I already use others.
- FruitMenu—What Apple purist doesn’t want to customize the OS X Apple menu just like we could with OS 9 and earlier? But even more important, I am hooked on FruitMenu’s feature to replace the Application Menu’s spelled-out name with its icon. Saves a lot of menu bar real estate.
- Menu Master—Face it, some default menu shortcuts are just plain stupid, and other menu items are lacking shortcuts when they are desperately needed. I’m really big on keyboard shortcuts and I could never easily give up Menu Master, in spite of this haxie being the culprit in my QuickTime Pro debacle.
- WindowShade X—Sometimes, you just want to be able to get a window out of the way for a second without having to mouse all the way over to the Dock to restore it. After ClearDock, this is probably the one I could give up next, but…waaaaa!
- Instant Hijack Server—Does this one really count? It’s not even made by Unsanity. Rogue Amoeba wrote their own Application Enhancer to go along with Nicecast, an online broadcaster I once reviewed and still use on rare occasion. This haxie allows Nicecast to hijack an application without having to restart it.
So, there’s my list and rationales. If non-haxie alternatives exist, I implore you to chime in and let me know.
Sorry, due to comment spam abuse, new comments on this entry are closed until I find time to upgrade Movable Type and enable registration and moderation.