Too Cool for Internet Explorer

Monday, May 9, 2005

U.S. Citizenship Requirements

Ever looked at a carton of McDonald’s fries? Granted, I try hard not to frequent McDonald’s—for obvious reasons—but did you ever notice that the cartons read, “America’s Favorite Fries?”

Exactly which Americans said McDonald’s fries were their favorite?

Have these “Americans” ever once sampled fries from Wendy’s, Arby’s, or Checkers?

Did they taste hot, fresh, properly cooked samples of competitor fries instead of the not-so-hot, half-hour old, unsalted fries that pollsters will serve in order to ensure people think “their” product tastes the best?

Since I already just posted about a stupid law suit, how stupid a law suit would it be if I sued the McDonald’s corporation for insinuating that I’m not an American?

McDonald’s fries aren’t my favorite, so does that mean, in McDonald’s eyes, I’m not American? Sure, I like their fries, but they aren’t my favorite—by a long shot.

» Posted by ALBj at 08:30 PM (ET)
Category: Musings

Comments

If memory serves, McDonald’s claim to “America’s Favorite Fries” is not based on a blind taste test or any other poll, but rather on total units of fries served. Since McDonald’s is the largest fast-food chain in the world, much less the United States, it only stands to reason they will sell more fries than anyone else.

They could just as well print “Earth’s Favorite Fries” on there, but that may have to wait until we have those civilian-occupied space stations and the Moon and Mars bases.

» Posted by chris
May 9, 2005 11:12 PM

Well then that’s only ’cause some deep-pocketed moron puts a Micky D’s establishment on almost as many street corners as does Starbucks!

» Posted by Lee Bennett
May 9, 2005 11:17 PM

McDonald’s is losing ground rapidly to Subway restaurants. McDonalds may have over 26,000 restaurants worldwide, but Subway already has 23,320 (www.Subway.com), and that number is growing.

I’d rather see a Subway on every corner versus a McDonalds.

» Posted by Michael
May 10, 2005 01:01 AM

Subway used to be very good and I’d have agreed with you.

Alas, the franchise got bit by the we’re-fast-food-we-gotta-streamline bug. You’ve now gotta tell employees to hit your sandwich again after every topping to get enough to make it worth while, and the new bread-baking recipe had the bread ending up with so much air in it, by the time you sit down with your sandwich, it’s barely thicker than a tortilla. I can go to Taco Bell for that.

I’m just glad there are Publix stores near where I live and where I work. Their deli subs rock.

» Posted by Lee Bennett
May 10, 2005 01:16 AM

You’ve got a bad Subway. Both the Subways I frequent here (two different owners) are very generous with their toppings.

As for the fries, many people I know think McDonald’s fries are the best. I have to admit that I personally like them better than BK or Wendy’s. But given the choice, I like the curly fries at Arby’s.

» Posted by Queue
May 11, 2005 08:28 AM

Not just one bad Subway - no less than 4 that I go into on a semi regular basis around town.

Agreed about BK fries, but Wendy’s—except for the occasional times they’re over- or under-cooked—taste much better. They’re fatter, not as crispy (which is why I don’t care for BK fries), and just overall more flavorful.

But then, I _really_ like Arby’s and Checkers fries. Arby’s has both the homestyle (with skins) and curly (with seasoning). Checkers, too, has seasoned fries that a delicious, if not healthy!

» Posted by Lee Bennett
May 11, 2005 09:24 AM

Sorry, due to comment spam abuse, new comments on this entry are closed until I find time to upgrade Movable Type and enable registration and moderation.